Friday, August 25, 2006

Getting My Goats

Thanks to Alastair's contacts at the Auckland Regional Council, I talked to the man who manages the Sentinel Goat Program at The Hunua Ranges Regional Park (Sentinel is the newer name for the Judas Goat Technique, being non-denominational and all). He seems really into the idea of a documentary on the program. Three times a year they close down the park and bring in the Sentinel Conservation Team. If everything works out the documentarians would be considered part of the team and given full access. I'm really stoked. There are other places in New Zealand that also do Sentinel Technique work that are closer to Dunedin (The Hunuas are up near Auckland on the North Island), but look how gorgeous this range is:
The Hunuas

But, even if the Hunuas program doesn't work out, there are other options yet to be explored and everywhere in New Zealand has fantastic scenery.


I'm seeing the potential for this film grow and grow. It gets me energized and excited, and I think it will do the same for others.

Please leave me some comments on whether or not you think this story would make a good film. I think there is a lot of potential for a action-conservation movie with a sting operation aspect to it and hopefully great characters.

5 comments:

Jule said...

Hello Dwayne,
I think you are on the path towards a strong story idea. Especially if there is the chance for full access - that is worth more than gold! However, you will probably face some difficulties with the actual killing of the wild goats with machine guns - I doubt that people will appreciate that to be shown "full frontal" on camera, you know what I mean? If you can come up with creative ways around the worst brutality, then that would be good, I guess. Just my personal opinion. All the best for your pitch!

Dwayne said...

I totally agree. I know I've been playing up the action/hunting aspects here on the blog, but I don't want to make a snuff film. I think the focus is going to be on the land and native ecosystem and showing how the goats damage it and don't belong there. The conservationists are the heroes and the natural habitat is what is at stake, if you know what I mean. I probably would minimize actually showing the goats at all because I don't want the audience to sympathize with them.

Kat Baulu said...

Looking good, D. Looking forward to your pitch, especially articulating what we will "see" during the unfolding of the process. Rock on.

erin said...

Did you end up going with this idea? I'd be interested in seeing your approach. The scenery looks beautiful. If you show how the goats destroy the land and play sneaky music I will be on team land all the way.

Dwayne said...

I went for it. I think it went well. I totally agree about showing the goats looking sinister and underscoring it with the music.

Go Team Land!