Saturday, August 12, 2006

Weekly Rundown: Zoo Drinks, Mike Rubbo, Editing

1. INT. ZOOLOGY TEA ROOM - FRIDAY, 4 AUGUST 2006. 4PM

The Natural History Filmmaking students host the monthly department happy hour. The theme: "Camo & Mo."

cleaning up, camo style

Our 'Zoo Drinks' went well. People seemed to get into the theme on camouflage and fake mustaches. A good time was had by all.


2. INT. NHNZ CONFERENCE ROOM - TUESDAY 8 AUGUST. 10:30AM

I had a meeting with documentary filmmaker Mike Rubbo to discuss film ideas. I'm still not totally inspired by any one topic, but he did like my 'Judas Pig' idea. Here's the basics:
There is a conservation technique for managing or eradicating feral herd animals known as the 'Judas technique' where some animals are captured and radio-tagged, then released. These animals rejoin their herd and people can track them from helicopters in order to cull them. It's kind of a harsh topic, but I think it's really interesting. I first heard about it from a friend who was studying ecology in Ecuador. Apparently they use the technique on goats in the Galapagos. Here is her wonderful description:

They get a goat, paint its horns bright orange (goats are color-blind, and wouldn't notice this), give it a radio collar, and release it on an island. Within about a week, the goat joins a herd. Then they track the goat down from a helicopter and open fire with a machine gun on the herd. This, while a bit brutal, is more effective [than hunting].

I've found a report from a study of the technique's effectiveness on pigs in an area in the central South Island here in New Zealand and I am trying to get in contact with the people to see if they are still using the technique.


3. INT. NHNZ EDITING SUITE - TUESDAY 8 AUGUST. 11:00AM

After meeting with Mike Rubbo, I got a chance to sit in with Warren at NHNZ while he is editing a pilot. I arranged the day before with Chris, the executive producer on the show to do this, since I was going to be going all the way to NHNZ for a half-hour meeting anyway.
It was really cool. The show looks like it's going to be great, plus watching Warren and talking to him about the way he edits was really informative. It makes me want to get back into editing.

2 comments:

Alastair Jamieson said...

Hey Dwayne, Did you know the Judas goat technique was developed right here in NZ in the early 1990's, and then exported by Kiwis to the Galapagos and elsewhere? Check out http://www.prohunt.co.nz/

Dwayne said...

I did not know that. Thanks for the website, I've been searching this topic online for a while and I've not been able to find much information. I'm going to try to get in touch with those guys.

Rock on AJ. (AJ?)