Sunday, February 04, 2007

Strange Transmissions

The other day I turned on the radio on my alarm clock because I was sick of the music on my computer. I switched it to AM and slowly spun the dial to try to find 1125 Radio Hauraki for some decent classic rock. But as I was searching I tuned in something else. It was old, beyond oldies. The song was a sort of Mexican-influenced love ballad from the 40s or 50s. It was followed by another. I wasn't really into it, and I wanted to keep searching and hopefully get some good music. But I was transfixed, it was like the radio equivalent of a train wreck. I was listening to the most whack station I had ever heard, but I couldn't turn away. I didn't believe it, and I still kind of don't.

I finished what I was doing and turned the radio off. Then today I was folding some laundry and I turned it back on again. This time it was an Irish woman hosting a show of songs that were apparently write-in requests for English and Irish ballads. I think I'm picking up a signal from the past. Commercials or call letters have not been broadcast. I think it's a transmission that was made at least 40 years ago and got beamed into space and has bounced off a distant satellite and is now returning to the wire antenna taped to my bedroom wall. I don't really want to listen to this all the time, but I don't want to change the station for fear that I'll never find it again. I've decided not to listen long or often or investigate any further because I don't want to ruin this wonderful strange station with the mundane truth.

Update 6/2/07: It's gone.

No comments: